Introduction: Din Mic Terminal to Light Stand out Adaptor

In this video I would like to demonstrate my design and construction of my boom out Pole cradle and light stand adaptor. This adapter allows me to very cursorily and easily attach my Rode din mic punt to a standard light stand.

Looking online for a resolution, most of the holders I found were overpriced bent pieces of wire that required a grip psyche and C-Stand. I craved something real light weight, strong, portable, adjustable, and did not require a C-stand or clasp head.

My customised ready-made adaptor uses a Scotty Power Lock Fishing pole Holder that cost around $18. With the punt end of the the job now resolved, I still needed a way to securely attach it to the stud, along the end of a standard light stand firm.

The fishing punt bearer is ⅞" inch diam at its end, which raised to 1 inch at the top. Despite searching through numerous ironware stores I could not find some combination of pipes or fittings that I could easy pieced put together to firmly attach the rack to the bearer

Thus, the task at present was to to make up my own just adapter out of a cardinal inch PVC pipe that I full with epoxy, let set and season, and then trained outgoing to the required deptha and diameters for both ends of the light stand and the pole bearer studs.

The filler I used is a marine grade, 2 part, interruption filling epoxy, that comes in a metro. Both parts are integrated put together in the application nozzle when is extracted using a caulk gun. However, there are many sorts of filler that would work on as well.

I tape-recorded off ace end of the PVC pipe and and then filled it to the go past with epoxy. Once it was in full set, this epoxy is rock candy hard and extremely undestroyable and can be drilled, which is exactly what I needful to do.

Using various Forstner bits in the drill press I augured out the ⅝" inch diameter hole which will fit on the alight stall. Once done, I then flipped the adapter terminated and trained the 1 inch equally well Eastern Samoa the ⅞" inch holes that will fit on to the magnetic pole holder.

The ensue is a identical strong and durable connector that holds the pole fishing pole holder precise secure, but still allows it to rotate Eastern Samoa required.

Finish it off with coat of primer and a couple coats of black paint and it's ready to stick in the action.

The pole bearer itself is extremely durable reinforced nylon, and is adjustable in 22-½ degree increments. Information technology's studied for holding extremely large fishing poles with a large tuna on the on the on the end line, indeed I think my jackanapes boom pole and Rode video mic might, leave wreak quite well with information technology.

This is a quick and cheap do-it-yourself solution that inverted out as beatific or better than the commercially available ones I looked at. I know I wish be very convenient on every shoot I'm enclosed with in the future. I hope you find this video useful and that IT gives you some ideas for similar DIY photo and video gear projects.

Be the First to Plowshare

Recommendations

  • Anything Goes Contest 2022

    Anything Goes Contest 2022